Trailer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    trenatrotter0
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have or know where I could get my hands on plans or some good pics and dimensions for a trailer/dolly combination trailer? A friend is happy to build it for me but I need a basis to start the project.

If this is not available, is it McKay Multilink trailer that is suitable for the Sabre? Any idea of which model? Cost? If I call do they know what a Sabre is???

Thanks

Damien

dulciechristense
    Participant

Damien

Nice to hear the boat is coming up to launch.

The Mackay Multilink trailers and dollies seem to be popular with Sabre people but many build their own others adapt box trailers (be aware that a 6×4 box is too small to drop a Sabre inside and a 7 or 8 foot by 5 foot box is better.)

Box trailers tend to have suspension that is too rough but may be adapted/adjusted.

I believe the Mackay dolly requires improvement to the beds the boat sits on before you should trust your prode & joy to it.

John Dixon at Iecon builds a nice dolly (Alloy, timber and FRP) as do Frecheville Heaney (Mostly timber).

I built my own slide-on dolly from 50mmx50mm aluminium box section and it works well but it cost $500 plus for materials. There are some very clever dollies around, particularly with regard to use of adjustable locations for the wheels to improve balance on the beach.

You’re welcome to come out to Box Hill to look at mine. I think I have the overall dimensions pretty right even if the build quality lacks a bit.

Alternatively come down to Albert Sailing Club about 1300 hrs on a Saturday – most of the Laser, Impulse dollies would adapt for a Sabre. Buster Hooper at Jolly Roger quotes about $2400 for a Mackay trailer and dolly for a Laser (You dont want a regular Laser dolly with the gunwale support system!)

If you know someone who can weld aluminium you’re ahead before you start.

Regards
    Mike Simpson (9899 7410)

jeremyzinke16
    Participant

Mike, you mention that the Mackay trolley requires improvement to the beds. But how do you change them? Do you have to replace the beds completely? And how do you get the curve right? My guess is that you have to make a template somehow (cardboard?). Any tips on how to do it?

dulciechristense
    Participant

If you chase down this thread you will find a few suggestions about how this might be done. Steve Early has some ideas as have others. See how you go.

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Damien,

I built my own Dollys using 32mm sqr stainless tube.

I you are interested, I can take some pics and email them to you. plus dimensions.

The road trailer was custom made to fit the dolly.

Regards . . .

[email protected]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.