Rig Tension

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Rig Tension

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James Bolton
    Participant

Hello All,
    Just been for a sail and now I have another question. Is it legal to alter the sidestay chainplate internal slide to allow more room for downward adjustment? I have only one more hole of adjustment left and with the forestay tensioned within an inch of it’s life I have difficulty achieving even the min. sidestay tensions as discussed in a response to a previous question on this forum.
    Ciao, Lea

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hello Lea

You can have as many holes in your chainplates as you like. The only restriction is that you do not adjust the side stays or the forestay when racing.

Phillip Johnson
    National Measurer

James Bolton
    Participant

Hi Phil,
    I am not sure if I explained my problem clearly. I can only get one more hole of adjustment on the chainplate before it bottoms out. This limits the amount of potential rake (with the mast step in it’s present position) and also limits the amout of adjustment that is available via the forestay to tension the shrouds. So I was proposing to shorten the internal slide of the chainplate to give more downwards adjustment thereby and give me the ability to create more tension in the sidestays via the forestay tensioner. Is this feasible and what is sometimes done? Or should I be looking at the mast step position or some other variable instead?
    I appreciate your input!! Lea

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

I would shorten the shrouds before trying to cut the stainless steel.
    I there are other sabres around, compare the lengths of your shrouds (ie wire and eyelets, not including chainplates) with them. A new set of shrouds is about $30 made up by a chandler.

James Bolton
    Participant

Yep!! That sounds like a better idea! Thanks Barry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.