Ray Eades Hull

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Ray Eades Hull

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rudyeveringham9
    Participant

Hi,
    Does anyone have any info on Ray Eades’ history as a boat builder? I’m considering buying a Sabre built by him. (I read somewhere else on the forum that he no longer builds.) The current owner has no measurement cert. and so I am wondering now if the boat will measure.
    Fuzzy Logic 1679

liamedleston
    Keymaster

Ray Eade built a number of boats that have won the Australian and Vic championship. Arthur Brett won the nationals in 1997/8 (later won 2 world contender championships) with 1552. Wayne Bates won 3 Aust titles with 1610 Outabaloo built by Ray. 1610 was used by Brett Young to produce the mould for the very successful YMS FRP boats.
    It is correct that Ray no longer builds boats…he also built a number of successful Sharpies. If it is a Ray Eade boat, it will almost certainly measure.

Barry Eastgate
    National Secretary and Treasurer

rudyeveringham9
    Participant

Thank you Barry.
    Lea

lisalamaro5270
    Participant

Lea
    Be careful as i purchased 1620 with no measurement certificate thinking it would be able to get one. However any boat that has not got one needs to measure to the new rules (so i have been told) otherwise it wont fall ito the new rules .I have almost stripped all the paint off mine to re paint it. But have noticed the rules have changed since this boat was built ( ie 4 floor boards not 2 like the older boats)
    Unless i have been told the wrong thing it might take some work to get it to measure

rudyeveringham9
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks for your input. I have now spoken with the previous owner of the boat I am buying and he has a certificate for it and so things should be hunkydory.
    Lea

lisalamaro5270
    Participant

cool
    wish i had the same luck..Or the sabres had a grandfather clause so that you could look up the year the sail number was given and that what the rules for the boat should be

liamedleston
    Keymaster

Not sure if 2 vs 4 floor battens is your issue or there are other ones but the requirement for 4 battens predates 1620 by at least 200 boats…early 1990’s.

lisalamaro5270
    Participant

I have a couple others but the extra floor battens and the requirement for them to go into the front bulkhead are the major ones
    The keel batten is also 2mm over sized and i don’t know how to fix that one
    I will have it ready for next season tho!
    how do you find out what year the sail number was given out for the boat?? and who to. (so i know who built the boat!!!)

liamedleston
    Keymaster

The sail nbr was issued in Sept 2001 to Bruce Gardner of Graham Crt Goolwa SA.
    I don’t know if he actually built the boat or if he still lives there.
    Barry Eastgate

lisalamaro5270
    Participant

Thanks barry!
    Will let you know how the re fit goes :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.