Has Anyone Seen This?

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Has Anyone Seen This?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    lucasa103380
    Participant

I hate to rain on anyone’s parade but there have always been all sorts of different shapes of Sabre. Take a look at the old ply boats – there is a huge difference (the early ones look like bananas compared to the later ones), and the manipulation of tolerances in ply is a fine art practised by a select few. Apparently the new FS plug is closer to the YMS, not further away, and not a radical departure.

No one has tried to measure in any sort of “rule cheater” that I am aware of. The sabre fleet is probably closer to a one-design than ever, and the racing reflects this. It seems to me that everyone needs to stop speculating on what might be, take a chill pill and let the measurers do their work.

BruceG
    Participant

Hi Daen,

Thanks for not hiding your name on your post unlike the many cowardly “Guestmembers”.

I think you miss the main point. Up until now the Sabre has been restricted by the building method that must be empolyed when building a ply sabre. Fibreglass boats have been moulded from these shapes. Basically this restriction provided by the ply building method has been effectively removed by the interpretation being that if it measures it is ok. We all know that ply boats have been manipulated for years but the building method and the measurements have kept the design in check helping to keep the class what it is today.

Craig

lucasa103380
    Participant

I guess my point, if I had one, is that although there is a lot of noise on this forum most of it is speculative. I can’t speak for the measurers but my understanding is that they are working through what may need to be done. Meanwhile there does not appear to be anyone exploiting or attempting to exploit any real or perceived gap in the rules. So while it’s always nice to have tighter rather than looser rules in a one-design class, there is no crisis here.

Perhaps all this energy could be directed at doing some sailing. This will benefit most people more than a few mm here or there on their hull shape.

I do agree it would be nice not to have anonymous posts. If people can not log in, they could at least put their name in their posts.

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

two weeks ago both nick and harold measured the FS plug
    nick has a full version of rino it has a plywood bending component in it
    it measure and conformed to the program
    FS is your opposition this forum should not use this way?
    What you are suggesting is a bit like whats mine is yours and yours is your own.
    My advice to you is to stop going on about others and get
    on and build your boats
    This link should be put to bed

i am not who you think

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Can some one please reference for me where fiberglass moulds have to be built from a ply boat. As far as I am aware this practice is due to convenience rather than a Sabre rule.

Are we also saying that a plug can not be altered once it has been generated from a ply boat. If I measure 1610 (Waynes original ply boat) and compare it to the current YMS mould, as well as a sample of boats over the last 15 years will they all be the same?

Having bought one of the original FS boats, i now it was built off a ply plug made by Phil Johnson. No it was not a full Sabre but then given its purpose was to build a mould, why invest time and money in a full fit out boat.

Any minor tweaks in the FS mould still need to be inside the rules and would be no different from a little bog/filler here and there if being applied to an existing wooden or glass boat. I always find new and improved is 98% marketing and 2% fact so not particularly worried about tiny amendments to the FS mould.

I’m also really curious about the points of this and similar threads.

Recent rules by the association followed the standard by laws of the class, including advising builders at the time of the changes. In my review the rule changes were more a clean up than a department from the norm. What exactly do people expect for an outcome.

If members really have an issue, raise your concerns formally to your local Sabre representative to take to the wider body. This seems a more formal and responsible approach to make change. Everyone has an opinion but can we focus on using it in a constructive manner.

The people on the Sabre committees do so to support the class and make things better for all. Knowing a large number of them personally they give up there time because they passionately believe in the class and ensuring its longevity.

I would hate to see our class no longer supported by people volunteering due to continual negative feedback. Feel free to raise concerns but I personally believe that a lot more effective methods exist than the internet.

Ashley Parkinson
    Cookie Monster 1886

BruceG
    Participant

I am not who you think but I think therefore I am!

BruceG
    Participant

Hi All,
    Can ayone clarify for me whether the rules state specifically – that a glass boat must emulate a ply boat as much as possible? or does it say timber (or similar) instead of ply?

Craig

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.