Gotchas for a 2nd hand sabre?

Home Forums Other Stuff Newbie Questions Gotchas for a 2nd hand sabre?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

G’day all,

I have the opportunity to purchase Sabre #475 (wooden hull). I believe this is a fairly old boat, and as such could reasonably be expected to show significant signs of wear and tear.

I think I have a reasonably good general idea of what to look for, but if there is anything specific to Sabres, I would really apreciate any pointers that anyone could give me. Actually, all advice would be welcome – not just Sabre-specific stuff.

I’ve been absent from sailing for quite a while and it looks like a Sabre might be just the ticket for my re-introduction.

Matt L.

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

Hi Matt-an old sabre may not necessarily be trashed because it is old-it all depends how much work it has done and how well it has been maintained by its several owners-usually the mast would be showing some signs of corrosion if it is original- i think the most common faults are that sabres tend to add weight with age and loose their stiffness on the floor of the hull- i am not sure whether the loss of stiffness is something that just naturally occurs or is a result of bouncing around on rough seas-also sabre shapes have progressed alot since 475 was bult so it would not have the streamlined shape that sabres gradually became somewhere after 1300-but having said that if all you want is something to have fun in-then so long as the paint is maintained there is no reason why it would not sail round the bouys for a few more seasons

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Newbie Questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.